Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Store

  Seven years ago today on Oct. 15th, 2007 would be the last time I would set foot inside the store. The photos from that day are like treasures now, the only ones I have from the interior and of those famous benches. Tim was home from college and we headed down to the southern tier to check out the fall foliage and get grape tarts. We had actually driven all the way to Alfred that day. It seems fitting now for that is where it all began and how we found the store.






   In 1980 I started college at Alfred State and thus began the trips back and forth between home and there. Heading south from Geveva on Rt.245 past Middlesex and picking up Rt. 21 south in Naples. continuing on past Naples a left turn onto 21 into North Cohocton and there it was, the store. The Kinsfolks Olde Country Store was built in 1849 and has been a store for over 100 years. It served as a full grocery store to the neighborhood but it was the candy that we sought. Upon this sweet discovery there was never a question of not stopping.

   I acquired my sweet tooth from my mom. Mom loved her candy and so it was no surprise after she passed that I found several bags in her closet she had most likely purchased after the holidays at half price. Goodness knows how long they had been there. The candy store as we came to call it carried bin after bin of penny candies sold by the pound as well as every other kind of imaginable candy bars or novelty you can imagine. Mom and I would grab a paper sack and fill them with our favorites and I have have to admit I often had two bags full. We loved that place.

   In 2008 I would once again make my journey down to Naples for my grape tarts and then make the short drive a few miles south to the store. But I arrived on that beautiful Fall day to find it closed and empty, the benches nowhere in sight. In disbelief I peered in the dirty windows where a few pieces of penny candy still remained. It had apparently like so many small town stores fallen victim to the recession. I went back to the car and broke down sobbing. Like Mom it too was now gone.



 I have made my way to Naples for my grape tarts most every year since. Some years  I've gone down to check on the store and some years I just couldn't bear to see it as it deteriorated. But this past Sunday as I drove down  I just had to check on it. It's been up for sale all these years and I was hoping someone would buy it and once again open a store. I find it looking amazingly good, it has been repainted and has a new roof but is still for sale. Oh if only I had the money....and someone to rebuild those famous benches and candy, lots and lots of candy.


3 comments:

  1. At least it's not a disaster! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Braveheart!!! I just wanted to inform you that The Olde Country Store I again open!!! Or at least we are in our startup "soft opening" phase. 9-5 every day of the week. I hope to see you the next time your in Naples for some grape tarts. Jeff Wells , Owner https://www.facebook.com/OCS.1849

    ReplyDelete
  3. TY Jeff, I am thrilled beyond belief

    ReplyDelete